The Good Guys Guide to Moving
The journey to your new home is underway. Sure, relocating can be a major burden. Planning your transition could take valuable resources away from the other priorities in your life, but it doesn’t have to!
That’s why the team here at Good Guys has put together this helpful guide for moving. We’ve moved thousands of Americans over the course of more than a decade. Here’s what you should be mindful of when you begin to plan your move:
MAKE A GAMEPLAN
Before you reach out for a quote from a moving company, it’s important to consider several factors:
- BUDGET – The price of your move depends on the size of your home, the number of items, and the overall distance between Point A to Point B. Set aside the amount you are comfortable spending on a move. Don’t forget to factor in items like moving supplies and gas expenses.
- PURGE – You can save money by letting go of items you no longer value. It will also free up room for new items when you move. Are some of your current items worth donating? You can also make money to contribute to moving costs by hosting a yard sale.
- INVENTORY – Using a sheet of paper or a mobile device, list all pieces of furniture that will be relocated. Then, list any smaller items that won’t fit in boxes. This will help the moving company offer you a quick quote.
SCHEDULE YOUR MOVE
Scheduling your move well in advance is the best practice. We encourage our customers to call two months in advance to book their move. However, it is possible to book a move up to one week before the move date.
- MOVE DATE – Take time to carefully consider which day you would like to move. If you work during the week, a weekend move would be ideal. Think about any plans you’ve made and the availability of the people that will assist with your move (i.e. family members, friends, etc.).
- RESEARCH – Once you have your budget set aside, it’s time to shop around! Reach out to moving companies for a quote. Be sure to verify whether or not the company is licensed, insured, and reputable. A quick Google search will allow you to read about previous customers’ experiences. If you’re unsure of what to look for, check out this article about Qualities You’ll Find in a Great Moving Company.
- BOOK YOUR MOVE – After comparing prices, it’s time to book your move. A great moving company will send you written confirmation with the date, estimated cost, and any specific instructions for your move. An even greater moving company offers insurance for your items.
PREPARE FOR MOVE DAY
If you booked your move well in advance, you’ll have plenty of time to gradually knock out several tasks — which will save you money long term and ensure a smooth transition.
- PACKING – The more you pack, the less your movers will have to pack — which saves you money! Heavy items should only be placed in small boxes. Lighter items should be placed in larger boxes. If packing isn’t your thing, Good Guys offers packing services along with a wide variety of boxes.
- LABELING – If you want to cut down on the man hours and make it easier for movers to determine where items will go, label them. Taking 30 minutes today can save you in the future.
- SEPARATING ITEMS – Set aside items that you plan on moving yourself on move day. This will save you time and money down the line.
- APPLIANCES – If you plan on taking a refrigerator, freezer, washer, or dryer, unplug them and remove any connections to the water line. Refrigerators and freezers will need time to properly thaw, so make sure they have been unplugged at least two days prior to the arrival of the moving company.
- CHANGE OF ADDRESS – Visit the USPS website to begin forwarding your mail to your new address. It only takes a few minutes.
- UTILITIES – Notify your utility companies of your new address. Depending on where you move, you may have to sign on with a new electric, water, or internet service provider.
- FOOD – Discard all of the food at your old place before you depart for your new home.
- VERIFY – A great moving company will call you to verify the details of your move one day in advance. You should also receive a call one-hour prior to the movers’ arrival.
- INVENTORY – Check off the items on your inventory list as they enter your new home to ensure they are accounted for.
- RELAX – When the moving company drives away, you will likely want to put everything in its proper place. But, take a moment to soak it all in before you begin rearranging.
If you follow this simple guide, you will surely have a timely, efficient, and carefree move. Good luck!